VMware Horizon – Windows 10 gold image – my best practices
This article is about my own experiences and best practices with deploy of gold image for VDI infrastructure.
- always use VMXNET3 network adapter
- If its possible – use flash storage array for OS HDD, i using thin provisioning.
- use separate VLAN for VDI desktops
Prepare your gold image
- use only Windows builds which are supported with version of VMware Horizon
- i used image – Windows 10 1909 – build 18363.592
- Install VMware tools
- Install all requiered apps
- Install Horizon Agent
- Run OSOT
- Create Snapshot
Disable First Logon Animation:
Name the value “EnableFirstLogonAnimation.” Double-click it and set the value to “0.”
msiexec /i <path_to_msi> /l*v <install_logfile_name> ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1
This installs Teams to the Program Files (x86) folder on a 64-bit operating system and to the Program Files folder on a 32-bit operating system. At this point, the golden image setup is complete. Installing Teams per-machine is required for non-persistent setups.
The next interactive logon session starts Teams and asks for credentials.