Microsoft Hyper-V 2019, Veeam Backup and Replication and not merging snapshots lots of .avhdx files
One of my customer have Hyper-V Cluster 2019, where is 2 WS2019 nodes with latest patches. The backup software is Veeam Backup and Replication v11. We had a one VM (WS 2012R2 guest OS) which had about 50 snapshots and not merge. The few days ago the backup job of problematic VM failed, the same situation was withe replication job.
We tried commands like icals, power off VM, move vm on the second node, but nothing working. In the event log was „Failed to get VHD (‚C:\ClusterStorage\SC3020\XXXVirtual Hard Disks\XXX_E2_35CD518B-55F8-4239-BDB4-0E66A8797779.avhdx‘) parent: ‚The system cannot find the file specified.'(‚0x80070002‘).“
I created new replication job in Veeam with problematic VM, but when i trying add VM to replicaiton job, the veeam console stuck. The problem was with many snapshots on problematic VM and hyperv node calculates the size of VM. So i tried add solo hyperv node to veeam and situation was same. The Veeam says „Collectiing disk info“. So there is no way to replicate/backup VM.
The only way, how to save the VM is backup with Veeam Agent in my case:
- Install Veeam Agent for Windows in Guest OS
- Configure backup job to the VBR Repository
- Stop some services like „SQL, Oracle“ etc.
- After backup is successfully finished shutdown the source VM, set the power policy to none in Failover Cluster Manager.
- Start the instant recovery of VM from Veeam Console, change the name of VM and for sure disconnect the network.
- Start migrate to production
- Start recovered VM without network and do some test in OS
- Connect the network to VM and test it
- Add the recovered VM to backup/replica plan.